Monday, April 25, 2011

Dear reader in Dollar

After eleven years we are here to discuss with you about the past, the present and the future soundscapes of Dollar one more time. This blog will be updated daily, meanwhile you can check out the stories from our previous visit here and to rest of the Five European Villages at http://www.6villages.tpu.fi/. Just click ‘enter’ and then ‘news archive’.

Here’s what happened 15th May 2000, 4 am.

“At quarter to four I packed my gear, put a microphone stand across my shoulder and headed to the centre of the Dollar where I was supposed to do my share of the 24-hour traffic count. While I reached my destination I realized that during the early morning hours the main road of Dollar was silent. Very, very silent.

For a shivering listener the only audible sounds were the wind that was blowing in the trees nearby, a few birds and a constant gurgle of a Dollar Burn. The stream's beautiful keynote sound is present almost everywhere in mainstreet while there are no other sounds masking it. Not a soul was in sight excluding the cat that was chasing dry leaves on the pavement. In a soundscape like this one feels a bit uncomfortable in making any sounds to disturb the sleeping village. Maybe that is the reason why the squeaking microphone stand sounded like a seagull on a quiet main road […]”

Hope to hear from you very soon!
Heikki & Viika
Tigh Ur B & B, a nice place with melodius gate






5 comments:

  1. Hi there field team! I guess you've arrived alright?

    What a squeak, where does this gate lead to? (I fixed the audio link, moved the file to the public > audio-folder.)

    Spend a productive week in Dollar and best wishes,
    Meri,
    who's stranded in Tampere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. That's Tigh Ur B&B gate.

    regards,
    Heikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recorded yesterday evening.

    regards,
    Heikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi as I said, that sound means more than a gate opening, to me that I live across the road is: OK time to go for a walk with all the dogs.
    Regards, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cecilia

    Thanks for your comment. It is a very good example of how different environmental sounds carry meanings with them.

    Regards,
    Heikki

    ReplyDelete